Jude Johnson  The National Security Adviser (NSA) Maj-Gen. Babagana Mungonu (rtd), on Thursday added new twist to the ongoing controversy and mystery surrounding the $1 billion funding for the counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations in Nigeria. Monguno in a latest report by an online medium Metrowatch, denied knowledge of the whereabouts of the $1billion approved by the…

The post Boko Haram: About $1bn fund for weapons? Ask the military–NSA appeared first on Global Sentinel.

Jude Johnson 

The National Security Adviser (NSA) Maj-Gen. Babagana Mungonu (rtd), on Thursday added new twist to the ongoing controversy and mystery surrounding the $1 billion funding for the counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations in Nigeria.

Monguno in a latest report by an online medium Metrowatch, denied knowledge of the whereabouts of the $1billion approved by the National Economic Council (NEC) for tackling security challenges in the country.

Both the Ministry of Defence and various services of the Nigerian military including the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) as well the Ministry of Finance, have previously denied knowledge of the the disbursement and expenditure of the money meant for purchase of weapons needed for war against terror and other internal security challenges.

The money was approved in December 2017 following spiralling insecurity in the country, especially Boko Haram insurgency, herdsmen menace, kidnappings, banditry and armed robbery.

There has been apprehension however, over whether the finds had been released,  when and for what specific purposes.

Amid the controversy, the Nigerian Army said the money was still being processed.

While responding to question on what has been done with the $1 billion, the NSA who coordinates the nation’s security architecture, said the money was meant for the military alone, but not aware if it had been so released.

“The $1billion I believe that you are talking about was actually earmarked for the military, not for security agencies, like the intelligence community and the paramilitary agencies.

“It was earmarked for the military. As much as I know, whether it was given to them, I really don’t know.”

Credits| Metrowatch

The post Boko Haram: About $1bn fund for weapons? Ask the military–NSA appeared first on Global Sentinel.

Source:Global Sentinel